Issue over Marcos burial a fight between two families?
A fight between two families.
That was how President Rodrigo Duterte described the issue involving the burial of late former President Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani, referring to the Marcos family and the Aquino family.
“It’s basically an away between the two families,” Duterte told reporters on Tuesday.
The late dictator was ousted in the 1986 EDSA People Power Revolution that installed Corazon Aquino as president. She was the widow of the late Senator Benigno Aquino Jr., one of Marcos fiercest critics during the Martial Law regime whose assassination in 1983 helped trigger the revolution.
Last week, the Supreme Court ruled against petitions to stop Marcos’ burial at the heroes’ shrine, leading to protests from groups that included Martial Law victims. Duterte had ordered the burial as one of his campaign promises.
Duterte twitted those opposing the burial, saying they could have passed a law that barred Marcos from being interred at the heroes’ cemetery.
“Pumasa [sila] ng batas sana disallowing or denying to the person already dead to be buried in the Libingan ng mga Bayani,” Duterte said. “Bakit hindi nila ginawa ‘yun?”
When asked whether he would allow the remains of Marcos, who died in 1989, to lie in state at Malacañang Palace, Duterte didn’t seem too keen on the idea, saying it wasn’t his decision to make.
“Ako okupante lang ako ng bahay,” he said. “It’s the property of the people of the Philippines.”
Duterte said he would attend the Marcos burial if he is in the country at the time. “Kung andito ako, yes I’ll try,” he said.
By: JST, GMANews
Published By: Kilusang Bagong Lipunan (KBL) Admin